The problem we face in Gmail
If you’ve ever used Gmail you might have faced this one problem. The problem is that when we get too many emails it becomes hard for us to decide among the important ones like work-related, and the non important ones like advertisement related or from social networks. All we really want is a way to categorize Gmail emails with labels. So that we can find it easier to sort out our emails into groups and live our lives easily.
The difference between labels and folders
Before we tell you about how to categorize your emails in Gmail there is a very important thing that you must know. It is the difference between labels and folders. Do you notice the folders on the right side when you open Gmail? There are some default folders called ‘Promotion’, ‘Social’ etc.
These are the default folders that are made by Gmail itself. We cannot change them but we do have the ability to create labels in Gmail using which we can sort out our data easily. This feature by Gmail sure eases up our lives! Labels in Gmail look like a small rectangular box which is grey in color. It is put on the email right next to its title. But that happens in the desktop version. In the mobile version you might notice labels on the left side on a bar. After you click on a label, you’ll view the sorted out emails.
[Read more : How to take screenshot of any tweet using twitter bot]
How to create groups and categorize Gmail emails using labels
Below given is a step by step guide on how you can sort out your emails automatically using filters in Gmail.
- First and foremost, login to your Gmail account.
- Now you have to go to settings. In the desktop version of Gmail, you can do so by clicking the ‘gear’ icon on the right, and click on the ‘Settings’ option. If somehow you want another option. You can click on the more icon in the Gmail app on the left. Below you’ll find an option called ‘create new label’. Click on it and you’re good to go.
- There will be a tab called ‘labels’.
- Now you’ll find a button called ‘Create new label’. You’ll have to press on it.
- You can give this label the name of your choice, for example ‘business’, ‘entertainment’, ‘work related’, ‘wife’, ‘sister’ etc.
- Congratulations. You’ve successfully created a new label in Gmail. Now all you’ll have to do is go to your inbox, select the emails that you want to apply that label to.
- After you’ve selected the emails by ticking the checkbox given alongside them, all you’ll require to do is put the label on them.
- To do so, you can see the label icon on the top. Simply click on it and select the label you created.
Creating labels definitely eases up our task a lot. You can also create even more labels by following the same process over again. This way you can create a wide variety of labels in your Gmail account and perform your work easily.
[Read more : How to Recover Permanently deleted gmail emails]